linux-avmb1:Re: PPPD: executing script when pppd comes up

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Fri Jan 14 17:10:11 CET 2005

Tony Crawford wrote:

>Jan Schubert wrote (on 14 Jan 2005 at 15:43):
>

>>AFAIR this is just executed when the line gets connected, not when the
>>pppd starts / the interface comes up, is'nt it? But for connecting the
>>line the system has to know which packets to send through the device...
>>

>Ah. Read in man pppd about the demand option.
>
>Theoretically you could put a wrapper script around pppd if you
>really want to start other things when it starts, but that's not
>necessary for dial-on-demand.

Obviously I just don't get it. Why is it not needed? I've to set up (for
example) a lot of  'ip rule' and 'ip route' bound on the interface pppd
brings up. How can I do that?

Thx,
Jan