[linux-l-announce] Event "Free Software GSM", 9. December 2010, 19:30

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Do Dez 2 11:36:54 CET 2010

I would like to invite you all to the event: "Free Software GSM" (in
English) by Ali Gündüz.

Where? Newthinking Store Tucholskystr. 48, 10117 Berlin
When?  Thursday 9. December, 19:30

  GSM is the most ubiquitous mobile telephony platform in the world, and
  chances are you are carrying a GSM-capable device with you everywhere
  you go. Yet, practical implementations of GSM are shrouded in mystery.
  Their inner-workings are known only to a small cabal of companies away
  from public and commercial scrutiny. However, there's hope on the
  horizon. In this talk, we'll have an overall look at the state of Free
  Software GSM implementations and discuss what they could mean for the
  hacker and the common man in practice.

  The talk will be aimed at those without any prior knowledge of GSM
  protocols, and I will not refrain from using crude oversimplifications
  to make my points.

  You have gotten used to the idea of Android and Meego? Let's see what
  you'll think about the possibility of Free Software handling what your
  cell phone is primarily made for."

  See also: http://aligunduz.org/blog/free_gsm_talk_next_week.html

Looking forward to see you there,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
Free Software Foundation Europe (fsfe.org)