[linux-l] umlaute in emails

Holger Paulsen paulsen at mobile.in-berlin.de
Di Mai 18 19:14:57 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 12:36:55PM +0200, Christian Wohlgemuth wrote:

> Nun zu meiner Frage: Seitdem ich meine Email's per
> Fetchmail/Postfix/Cyrus/Sieve abhole und verteile, werden Umlaute nicht
> mehr richtig dargestellt. Hol ich dagegen die Mail's direkt mit einem
> Mail-Clienten via POP3 vom Provider ab, werden die Email's korrekt
> dargestellt.

Im Body oder im Header? Wenn es um Umlaute im Header geht,
dann hat der Cyrus seine Finger im Spiel. Ich zitiere mal
aus der Cyrus IMAP Server FAQ:

Q: All of the 8bit characters in the headers of messages that I receive
    are being changed to 'X's. What's going on?

    A: 8-bit characters are illegal in message headers. Following the
    principal of "be liberal in what you accept, and strict in what you
    send" cyrus converts them to Xs. (Without a character set, having
    the 8-bit characters replaced with Xs is just as good as having them
    be any other 8-bit character, especially for sorting and searching).
    Alternatively, you can set "reject8bit: t" in imapd.conf to reject
    the messages outright. It might also be reasonable for cyrus to
    support the use of a default character set, however thus far no one
    has done the work to do so (it would also involve QP-encoding the
    corrupted headers),

Das hat aber nichts mit Linux zu tun.

  Holger