[pkl] Roger Penrose über "Consciousness", Alan Turing / Berechenbarkeit und das Universum

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Di Feb 4 12:41:46 CET 2014

Hallo, liebe Leute,

anbei Links zu drei Videos mit Beiträgen von Roger Penrose.
Der erste geht um Berechenbarkeit und "Mind",
Penrose geht davon aus, daß das heutige Wissen nicht ausreicht,
um Bewusstseinsprozesse zu erklären; damit sind die
Turingmaschinen-Fetischisten schon mal unter Kritik.

Der zweite Vortrag geht auf Alan Turing ein und zeigt, daß Turing
wohl schon in die selbe Richtung dachte, "computation beyond
turing computability" sozusagen.

Und im dritten Vortrag geht Penrose auf den Big Bang ein
und argumentiert eher für ein zyklisches Universum.
Er sagt nicht, daß das auf jeden Fall so sei,
nennt es aber sinngemäß "immerhin ein 'proposal'".
( Komisch, daß dann da betroffenes Schweigen herrscht; hatte man
  endgültige Lösungen und Wahrhitsverkündungen erhofft?
  Oder weniger Selbstreflexion/-Hinterfragung?
  Immerhin ist er doch so eine Koryphäe, und dann so bescheiden?! )

Ich wünsche viel Spaß mit den Videos:.

Sir Roger Penrose — The quantum nature of consciousness

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXTX0IUaOg

    ( ca. 7 Minuten )

      "The extraordinary scope of his work ranges from quantum
      physics and theories of human consciousness to relativity
      theory and observations on the structure of the universe.
      Penrose is internationally renowned for his scientific work
      in mathematical physics, in particular for his
      contributions to general relativity and cosmology. His
      primary interest is in a field of geometry called
      tesselation, the covering of surfaces with tiles of
      different shapes.

      Among numerous prizes and awards, he received the 1988 Wolf
      Prize for physics, which he shared with Stephen Hawking for
      their contribution to our understanding of the universe.

      He is the Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics at
      the Mathematical Institute of the University of Oxford, as
      well as an Emeritus Fellow of Wadham College.

      "There is a current view that consciousness is something
      which arises from some complicated computation. So we have
      our computers, and people think that because they can do
      things amazingly fast, and they can calculate very quickly,
      and they can play chess extremely well, that they are
      superior to us even, and it is only some complicated aspect
      of this computational activity that somehow consciousness
      arises from that. Now my view is quite different from this.
      I think there is a lot of computational activity going on
      in the brain, but this is basically unconscious. So
      consciousness seems to me to be something quite
      different.""

The Problem of Modelling the Mathematical Mind

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscEK5df8vE

    ( ca. 1,5 Stunden )

      "Following Alan Turing's ground-breaking 1937 paper, which
      introduced his notion of the Universal Turing machine, he
      suggested, in 1939, generalizations based on ordinal logic
      and oracle machines, these being apparently motivated by
      attempts to model the mathematical mind in a way that could
      evade the apparent limitations presented by Gödel's
      incompleteness theorems. In this talk, I introduce the idea
      of a "cautious oracle" as a more human version of Turing's
      oracles. Nevertheless, I show that even this fails to
      capture the essence of the full capabilities of our
      understanding.

      I raise the issue of possible physical processes that would
      appear to be needed in order to circumvent these Gödel-type
      restrictions. At the end of the talk, I report on some
      startling new experiments, which appear to point to new
      insights into the possible physical processes underlying
      conscious brain activity, and I speculate on how this might
      relate to the power of human understanding."

Sir Roger Penrose, Aeons before the Big Bang
  (Copernicus Lecture Center 2010)

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYWUIxGdl4

    ( ca. 2 Stunden )

      "The second Copernicus Center Lecture was delivered by
      Professor Roger Penrose, a famous physicist and philosopher
      of science. Professor Penrose titled his speech "Aeons
      before the Big Bang". Like the year before, the Copernicus
      Center Lecture was part of the Kraków Methodological
      Conference - "Physics and Philosophy", which was
      co-organized by the Copenicus Center for Interdisciplinary
      Studies."

Gruß,
   Oliver