linux-l: Kernel patchen

Philipp Grau phgrau at ZEDAT.FU-Berlin.DE
Mo Mai 17 13:56:45 CEST 1999

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 12:59:25PM +0200, Haag, 31, BZ B-Zentrum wrote:
> Wie genau muss ich vorgehen, um einen Kernelquellenbaum von
> sagen wir linux-2.2.2 auf 2.2.3 (und dann hoeher) zu patchen?

Lies /usr/src/linux/README da stehts drin!

INSTALLING the kernel:

 - If you install the full sources, do a

                cd /usr/src
                gzip -cd linux-2.0.XX.tar.gz | tar xfv -

   to get it all put in place. Replace "XX" with the version number of the
   latest kernel.

 - You can also upgrade between 2.0.xx releases by patching.  Each
   patch that is released for 2.0.xx contains only bugfixes.  No
   new features will be added to the Linux kernel until the 2.1.xx
   development effort begins.  To install by patching, get all the
   newer patch files and do

                cd /usr/src
                gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0

   (repeat xx for all versions bigger than the version of your current
   source tree, _in_order_) and you should be ok.  You may want to remove
   the backup files (xxx~ or xxx.orig), and make sure that there are no
   failed patches (xxx# or xxx.rej). If there are, either you or me has
   made a mistake.

   Alternatively, the script patch-kernel can be used to automate this
   process.  It determines the current kernel version and applies any
   patches found.

                cd /usr/src
                linux/scripts/patch-kernel

   The default directory for the kernel source is /usr/src/linux, but
   can be specified as the first argument.  Patches are applied from
   the current directory, but an alternative directory can be specified
   as the second argument.

\bye
Philipp