[linux-l] imap-2000c44 und Outlook Express

Kendy Kutzner kendy.kutzner at e-technik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fr Nov 15 13:57:17 CET 2002

On 2002-11-15T08:28:32+0000, Glatzel Tino wrote:
> Auf meinem SuSE 7.2 System habe ich das Paket imap-2000c44 installiert. Die
> User können mit Outlook Express die Mails bearbeiten. Von Zeit zu Zeit kommt
> jedoch eine Fehlermeldung: "Der Imap-Server hat die Verbindung beendet.
> Möglicherweise war die Verbindung zu lange inaktiv".

Heisst von Zeit zu Zeit "nach ca eine halbe Stunde"?
Dann vermute ich
Zitat
http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#7.37

This  is  a known bug in Outlook Express. Microsoft is aware of
the problem and its cause.  They  have  informed  us  that  they
do not have any plans to fix it at the present time.

The problem is also reported in Outlook 2000, but not verified.

Outlook  Express  uses  the  IMAP IDLE command to avoid having to
"ping" the server every  few  minutes for new mail.
Unfortunately, Outlook Express overlooks the part in  the  IDLE
specification which requires that a client terminate and restart
the IDLE before the IMAP 30 minute inactivity autologout timer
triggers.
[...]

As  soon  as  the  user  does  anything that would cause an IMAP
operation, Outlook Express  will  reconnect  and  new mail will
flow again. If the user does something that causes an IMAP
operation at least every 29 minutes, the problem won't happen.

Zitat Ende

Loesungsmoeglichkeiten:
1. Warten auf Patches fuer Outlook von Microsoft (haha)
2. Den Nutzern beibringen, dass sie alle halbe Stunde was mit IMAP
machen muessen.
3. In den Sourcen von imapd den Timeout vergroessern
4. imapd mit dem #define MICROSOFT_BRAIN_DAMAGE uebersetzen

> In /var/log/messages habe ich auch nichts
> besonderes gefunden.

Wenn meine Vermutung richtig ist, dann sollte dort etwas von
Autologout user=<...my user name...> host=<...my client system...>
stehen.

Kendy

--
bz7W/6VYfYyI11oyeV8xfi5EQGA=